The winner of 6 Grammy Awards, 13 Guinness World Records and a Songwriters Hall of Fame’s Contemporary Icon Award, Lady Gaga is one of the best alive musical figures today. She is an American singer, actress and a songwriter, but besides her musical career, she also plays a prime role as a philanthropist. She has established a non-profit organization by the name of ‘Born This Way Foundation’ in 2012 to focus on youth empowerment.
Read below to know many more such facts about your favorite singer.
- Lady Gaga was born as Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta in Manhattan, New York, U.S on 28th March, 1986. Few of her popular nicknames are Gagaloo, Mother Monster, Loopy, Rabbit Teeth and Stefi.
- Her stage name was inspired by one of the Queen songs: ‘Radio Ga Ga’, released in 1984. It was given to her by producer Rob Fusari in 2006. Interestingly the word ‘Lady’ was a texting error, when Rob was actually typing ‘Radio Ga Ga’. She texted him back saying, “That’s it. Don’t ever call me Stefani again”.
- She graduated from Convent of the Sacred Heart High School in New York, the same private school from where Nicky and Paris Hilton also graduated. She dropped out of New York University to pursue her musical career when she was just 19.
- She initially started her career by performing in theaters and high school plays. Then she joined a rock band, followed by Lower East Side’s Avant Garde Performance Art Circuit, and later joined and was soon got dropped from Def Jam Recordings’ contract as well.
- Post that, she settled as a songwriter for Sony/ATV Music Publishing where Akon noticed her vocal abilities and gave her the opportunity to sign a deal with Interscope Records and KonLive Distribution.
- She once said at the Madison Square Garden’s gig that her teachers would tell her: “You’ll never be the heroine, the blonde, the star. Your hair’s too dark, you look too ethnic.”
- Her favorite colors are black, dark pink and lavender. Her eyes are green and she loves white roses. She is left-handed and her favorite cartoon character is Bugs Bunny.
- Her favorite songs are: Imagine, Thunder Road, Whole Lotta Love, T.N.T., Oh! Darling, Rebel Rebel, Hold On. She’s a huge fan of Bruce Springsteen. She is been listening to him since she was a kid.
- Her unforgettable meat dress that she wore at the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards was shriveled in order to appear in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Also, another of costumes that she wore during her Monster’s Ball tour left her $3 million in debt.
- Her 2011 hit “Edge of Glory” was composed on the night her grandfather died.
- One of her 17 tattoos mean: “In the deepest hour of the night, confess to yourself that you would die if you were forbidden to write. And look deep into your heart where it spears its roots the answer and ask yourself; must I write?” It’s a quote from her favorite philosopher Rainer Maria Rilke.
- Her father’s name is Joseph Germanotta and her mother is named Cynthia. Her sister’s name is Natali and she is a fashion student. Natali was born on 10th March 1992. She also made an appearance in the music video ‘Telephone’ as a prisoner inmate.
- Her first album, called ‘The Fame’, released on August 19, 2008 was both written and co-produced by Lady Gaga herself. In the year 2010, she was ranked as the 2nd most powerful musician in the world.
- Interestingly, when she was just four, she taught herself to play piano by ear.
- She wrote the song ‘Born This Way’ in just 10 minutes, the same song that sold more than one million tracks in its first five days on iTunes. Her song, Poker Face was the most downloaded song in the UK ever during the time of its release.