Nature is full of wonders. There are plants, flowers, fruits, seeds and even grass-like leaves like Lemon grass that has so much to offer human beings. They take care of the entire body inside out in so many ways we can hardly think of.
Fact 1 What Is Lemongrass
Lemongrass, belongs to the grass family and its odor resembles that of fresh lemon. It is mostly used as an herb and is known by different names like British Indian Lemongrass, Ceylon Citronella Grass, Cochin Lemongrass, Citronella de Madagascar, and many others.
Fact 2 Description
LemongrassÂ grows well in India and tropical climatic areas of Asia and Africa. It is a tall, grass-like plant that is coarse to the feel. The leaves grow in thick bunches and the base is quite strong and steady. They grow up to 3 meters high and the leaves have a strong but refreshing lemony fragrance
Fact 3 What Does Lemongrass Contain?
Lemongrass is packed with essential nutrients that are absolutely necessary for healthy living. It is a storehouse of Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, C, Folate, Copper, Zinc, Magnesium, Potassium, Calcium, Phosphorous and iron. All these nutrients when used in proper amounts, offer great benefits to all.
Fact 3 Health Benefits Of Lemongrass
The presence of the innumerable nutrients in lemongrass naturally points to the fact that it is one of the most useful plants that offers many health benefits. Some of them are:
- Lemongrass helps to maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
- It is a great detoxifying agent that cleanses and flushes out harmful toxins from the body. It thus helps in regulating the various activities of the organs of the body.
- Cancer is one of the deadliest diseases today and is the cause of innumerable deaths. Lemongrass has been found to offer healing effects in treating cancer without affecting the other cells of the body.
- The anti-microbial property of lemongrass works well in fighting stomach disorders caused by pathogens.
- The essential oil present in lemongrass has a soothing aroma that soothes tired brains and muscles thereby inducing sleep. Researchers are of the opinion that lemongrass tea improves the quality of sleep as it acts like a harmless, natural sedative.
- Ayurveda treatment is present in India from a very long time. Lemongrass was used and is still used for reducing problems related to flu, fever, cough and cold as well as bronchitis and asthma.
- The soothing fragrance of lemongrass is highly beneficial when you are in great pain like headaches due to cold, migraines and even stress because it has analgesic properties. It also controls back aches, muscle pain, dislocation related pain and treats wounds, bruises, etc.
- Lemongrass is used as a nerve stimulator and helps to fight convulsions, vertigo and other nerve-related health issues.
- Lemongrass has been found to work well in the treatment of Type-2 Diabetes and maintain sugar levels.
- Lemongrass takes care of the immunity system of the body and improves digestion, respiration and the vital performances of the body.
- It is great in treating rheumatism that causes great pain and discomfort in most people. It can be used externally also on sprains and other painful areas.
- Lemongrass is one of the best skin care products that can be used as a cleanser, toner, to treat acne, and an astringent lotion to prevent skin infections and blemishes. It is for this special ability of lemongrass that it is used in various skincare products.
- The anti-oxidants present in lemongrass fights against free-radicals and strengthens the spleen too.
- Lemongrass is used in making deodorants and insect repellants also.
- It is used as aromatherapy ingredient and is found to be effective in fighting against obesity that is diet-related.
There are many other benefits of this amazing plant but it should be used in the right amount and under the direction of an expert.