Is it a Mystery Land or a Secret Military Base?
Did an Unidentified Flying Object (UFO) actually crash in Roswell, New Mexico in 1947? Or it was another secret military activity?
There are many such questions that have remained unanswered for many years. After the claimed UFO sightings, controversies and speculations had sparked and all the leading newspapers and TV channels in the U.S. published detailed reports on mysterious objects and their alleged link to Area 51 in Nevada.
Here are some of the news headlines that intensified the mystery:
- “Disk Baffle Science as Reports Pour In.” – Los Angeles Times
- “Saucer Outran Jet, Pilot Reveals.” – The Washington Post
- “RAAF Captures Flying Saucer On Ranch in Roswell Region.” – Roswell Daily Record
Were those UFOs real? Or those were spy planes U-2 and OXCART that U.S. military had created for aerial surveillance?
In August of 2013, U.S. government admitted that Area 51 does exist. This means the objects that were seen flying around the country could be spy planes or stealth aircraft. However, many witnesses still re-emphasize that they saw UFOs for real.
Interesting Facts About Area 51:
- The original name of this base was ‘Watertown’. It was also the hometown of former CIA Director Allen Dulles. In 1958, around 38,400 acres of public land surrounding the Watertown and Groom Lake had been taken over by the U.S. government.
- The military base got an official name ‘Air Force Flight Test Center, Detachment 3’, or ‘AFFTC Det. 3’.
- The base was an ideal location due to the dry lakebed, which was smooth enough to use as a runway. It was a low-lying area surrounded by mountains and hidden from outsiders.
- Area 51 was blocked from Google Earth to make the location untraceable as it has been a top-secret facility for the U.S government.
- This facility got a lot of attention from movie makers and Sci-Fi book publishers. Due to this, it was often hard to differentiate between the facts and the fiction about the incidents reported. Rumors were strife that aliens had been kept and researched upon there as shown in the movie ‘Men in Black’ and the TV series ‘The X-Files’.
- There was some truth related to the conspiracy theory that the preparation for landing in moon was carried out at Area 51. Various kinds of space equipment such as land rovers and life support systems had been tested by the astronauts at the nearby nuclear testing grounds.
- A survey revealed that more than 70 percent Americans believe that aliens and UFOs are real.
- After increasing instances of UFO sightings in 1952, the CIA stated that there was a remote possibility that they could be interplanetary aircraft, and it was important to look into the matter.
- Area 51 played a crucial role in developing the U.S. Air Force’s highly classified stealth programs during 1970s and 1980s.
- Once CIA test pilot Ken Collins landed to the ground with a parachute when his plane crashed. There he got surprised to have been greeted by three civilians who were traveling in a pickup. They offered Ken a ride to his plane’s crash site. However, Collins asked them to give him a ride to the opposite direction by telling them a pre-determined story that the plane had a nuclear weapon. It was an effort to keep the Area 51 craft a secret.
- Also during same time period, workers at the site is said to have exposed to toxic waste. Helen Frost sued the government in 1996 for her husband Robert’s death in 1988 caused by fumes. However, the judge dismissed the case as the government could neither confirm nor deny the allegations. Besides, a statement was also released that Area 51 was exempted from any environmental regulations.
After the government disclosed about the existence of Area 51, more mysteries are expected to be unveiled. However, due to highly classified nature of several projects, some information will remain top secret.