Miami is considered to be among the top destinations for tourists in the United States of America. This seaside resort is located in the state of Florida. It was founded on July 28, 1896. Here are some facts about Miami which you should know.
- It is spread over an area of 1955 square miles with an elevation of about 12 feet.
- More than 15 miles of Miami is covered by beaches.
- It has a subtropical climate with sunshine all round the year.
- The average daily temperature is around 76o F
- Miami has a population of around 2.4 million with around 64% of them being Hispanic and about 20% are Blacks.
- The average median income of a Miami household is around $31500 per annum.
- The Spanish had built a mission in this place in around 1567 and the place was known as Mayami.
- In 1896 the construction of the Florida East Coast Railroad opened Miami to the rest of the world.
- The 1920s saw a tremendous boost in the development of this city. But the Depression and two massive hurricanes halted this progress abruptly.
- It became the home to military soldiers in the 1940s. As it attracted a diverse blend of people, it became the home of the notorious outlaw Al Capone.
- The 1950s saw a boost in the tourism industry. It is said that the mass Cuban immigration following the 1969 Castro revolution has been the catalyst towards developing of Miami into a top class city.
Some cool facts about Miami:
- Miami is the only major city in the United States to be discovered by a woman, Julia Tuttle.
- Miami is named after the Native American tribe, Mayami who used to inhabit the place during the 17th and 18th
- The Miami Beach pharmacist Benjamin Green invented the first sun tan lotion in the world in 1944.
- The entire stretches of the beautiful beaches were once mangroves till as late as the 1920s.
- Miami is the place where the only Everglades eco-system is located.
- There are more than 800 parks in Miami and is the only city to be bordered by two separate national parks, Biscayne National Park and Everglades National Park.
- Miami is the home to the world’s largest collection of Art Deco Architecture.
- Miami had been voted as the cleanest city in the U.S. in 2008.
- Miami is the largest cruise ship port in the World.
- The Miami Beach is also known as â€œAmerica’s Rivieraâ€.
- In the olden days, Miami was a popular place for pirates to camp. It is believed that this was the home to lot of pirates such as Gasparilla, Blackbeard and Lafitte. Even recently vast caches of gold, silver and other treasure have been found in and around the Miami area.
- On account of the huge number of shipwrecks in the area, Miami Beach is also known as the Wreck Diving Capital of America.
Places you should visit in Miami:
- Miami Airport: This is the second largest airport in the U.S. after J F Kennedy Airport.
- Port Miami: This is one of the largest ports in the U.S.
- Fort Lauderdale: There are more than 25 miles of beach in Fort Lauderdale.
- The beaches of Miami: They are the main attraction of people visiting Miami.
Important personalities hailing from Miami:
Miami is the home to many celebrities such as Dwayne â€œThe Rockâ€ Johnson, George P Bush, son of Jeb Bush and nephew of George W Bush.