Plant Kingdom is full of wonders. It offers various types of health benefits that have been discovered many years ago and have been used as remedies for various ailments. Apart from medicinal uses, plants provide food to the entire living world. There are different species of plants that are recognized by their structure, odor and other characteristics.
Fact 1 Indica And Sativa
Indica and Sativa are the names of two plants that belong to the Cannabis species. It is the oldest crop that was cultivated from times unknown. Indica and Sativa can combine together to create new hybrid strains that have distinct medicinal benefits. Although these plants belong to the same species, they have many differences regarding their origin, size and other characteristics.
Fact 2 Difference Between Indica And Sativa
The differences between the two plants can be divided according to the following categories:
- Origin: These plants ae today found in various countries of the world. The main areas where Indica flourishes the best are the high altitudes and countries that experience harsh weather like Afghanistan, Morocco, Nepal and Turkey. Sativa is found in equatorial regions like African countries, Southeast Asia, Colombia, Mexico and Thailand.
- Height of the plants: Indica plants are basically shirt and wide. Whereas, Sativa plants are tall and slender. Hence indica plants are considered as indoor plants as they do not need much space and are about 3 to 4 feet high while sativa are grown outdoors as they grow as tall as 20 feet.
- Shapes of leaves: It is quite easy to differentiate between Indica and Sativa by the shape of their leaves. Indica has broad leaves while the Sativa has slender leaves.
- Difference in flowering time: This is the time when the plants start growing and buds emerge at the edges of the plants. Indica reaches full growth within 8 to 10 weeks and a week earlier if CO2 is added to it. Flowers of the Sativa take a longer time to grow into full grown flowers. The process takes about 16 to 20 weeks.
- Size of the yields: In normal conditions, indica plants have higher yields as compared to sativa. There are however exceptions to this situation. It depends on the size of the plants as well. The larger the plants, the amount is yield is higher. Indica produces about 1.5 to 2.5 ounces per plant whereas sativa yields 3 ounces to 1 pound per plant.
- Flavor of the plants: Various flavors have been introduced nowadays. But the classic flavors are still in great demand. Indica has a sweet flavor like strawberry or blueberry while sativa offers an earthy flavor like that of pine.
- Effects: The two plants have distinct effects on the smokers. One can choose from the type of feelings that one wishes to enjoy and smoke accordingly. Indica offers a relaxing and sedating sensation. The full body gets high and the effects are the obvious tendencies to chill out on the couch and listen to music or even go off to sleep. Sativa on the other hand, offers an energized effect on the smokers. People often work harder and even go on adventures after smoking sativa. There are various strains of these plants that are either pure indica or pure sativa and combination of the two.
- Medicinal benefits: These plants have been used to relieve various types of pain, nausea, etc. Indica works well for insomnia, muscle pain, headaches, spasms, seizures, migraine, and anxiety while sativa is effective in dealing with depression, fatigue, and mood disorders and helps in increasing creativity and focus, energizes the body and strengthens muscles.