Raspberry plants are commonly found in many parts of Europe and North America and are a part of the berry family. These fruits which go by the botanical name Rubus idaeus are tasty and are widely consumed. However, not many are aware of the numerous medicinal properties of the raspberry leaves and the health benefits it offers. Raspberry leaves are generally taken as tablets or in the form of tea and can be easily purchased from health stores.
The medicinal properties of raspberry leaves have been well documented over the past few centuries. The following are some of its benefits:
Raspberry Leaves and Pregnancy:
Raspberry is often known as the woman’s herb and as it comes with a lot of health benefits primarily for women. The raspberry leaves have numerous benefits during pregnancy and breast feeding. It is said to relieve and alleviate numerous symptoms that pregnant women experience. The raspberry leaves offer relief from the bouts of morning sickness in early pregnancy and also prevents and relieves gum related problems. These leaves are a good source of minerals such as iron, calcium, manganese and magnesium with the magnesium aiding in strengthening the muscles of the uterus. Vitamins B1, B3 and E are also supplied by the leaves. The leaves also exert a relaxing effect on the muscles of the uterus. This is very significant factor in reducing the time of labor as relaxed uterine muscles subsequently translate into coordinated contractions and thus shorter labor duration.
Studies have also proven that the leaves if ingested by pregnant women increases the chances of having natural birth and subsequently reduces the chances of aided birth like caesarean sections or use of vacuum. The leaves also relieve uterine cramping. The leaves come in handy even after delivery by increasing the secretion of breast milk and reducing the bleeding after delivery.
Other Health Benefits:
- Reduces fever and the symptoms of sore throat. The leaf is applied directly on the skin to relieve sore throat.
- Reduces diarrhea
- When taken as tea the leaves have found to increase the fertility by detoxifying the hormones which impediment conception, improves rate of the implantation of embryo to the uterine wall thus reducing the chances of miscarriage.
- Reduces cramping during menstruation and reduces the bleeding flow
- Helps in relieving symptoms of urinary tract infections
- The leaves also have anti malarial and anti gonorrheal properties
- Red raspberry leaves have anti oxidant properties which help fighting certain forms of cancer. Studies have proven that raspberry leaves have higher oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC) when compared to other berry plants thus higher anti oxidant properties.
- Red raspberry leaves have been found to have astringent and anti septic properties and are effective in reducing skin rashes and infections.
- Raspberry leaves tea is high in mineral and vitamin content and helps in improving the immune system.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of the leaves help in reducing the ulcers of the internal organs by increasing blood circulation.
Conclusion: Though the number of health benefits that raspberry leaves offer to women are numerous the leaves can be safely consumed by men and kids too. No major side effects of the herbal product have been reported. The product is widely available and it is advisable to make use of raspberry leaves to relieve ourselves from various health problems.