It is commonly thought that the mass media is responsible for the phenomenal increase in male preoccupation with their looks. However, male beauty has always been admired and the heroes of the Old Testament of the Bible were unfailingly good looking.
The Bible tells us that the â€˜glory of young men is their strength and the honour of old men is their white hair.’ Nevertheless Samuel was â€˜ruddy, with beautiful eyes and a handsome appearance’; Joseph was â€˜handsome in form and appearance’. As for Absalom, there was no defect to be spotted â€˜from the sole of his feet to the crown of his head’.
So beauty in the male is not for gays and bisexuals only, it is the norm. Fortunately the beauty industry has awoken to the concept of male beauty. The shelves of retail outlets all over the world are filled with beauty products for men. Globally the men’s skin care product industry is estimated at $ 3.3 billion. Between 2012 and 2014 the number of men’s beauty products on retail shelves has increased by 70%.
So come along men, both young and old, shed your inhibitions and bring out the beauty within the beast.
TIPS FOR CARE OF THE FACE:
- Facial Scrub: This helps get rid of dirt, oil, dead skin and leaves your skin smooth and glowing. It also softens hair follicles making it easier the have a close shave.
- Cleansing: Men’s skin has large pores with active sebum producing glands. These excess oils can cause acne. Daily cleansing with a liquid cleanser containing Vitamin E oil, olive or jojoba oil and anti-bacterial ingredients are most suitable.
- Shaving: Though most men prefer to use blades, an electric shaver is safer. Shave in the direction of growth. For hard beards use shaving cream and leave it on for a minute before shaving. Use an after shave containing astringent, for former smoother skin.
- Moisturiser: This compensates for loss of natural oils and reduces razor burns.
- Lip Care: Do not neglect your lips. Keep them moist and smooth with regular use of lip balm.
- Teeth: Shining white teeth are considered very attractive. Smoking and excessive consumption of tea and coffee stains the teeth. Brush twice a day with whitening toothpaste and use a mouth freshener.
- Eyes: Dark rings and puffiness can spoil the well groomed effect. Use an eye cream regularly. Also wash out your eyes after an outing. Use sunglasses in the sun, goggles when swimming or motor biking.
- Cleanliness: Wash your face regularly, especially after going outdoors. Don’t keep touching your face with dirty hands.
THE REST OF YOU:
- Manicure and Pedicure: Don’t be afraid to walk into a beauty parlour and ask for these incredibly relaxing procedures. Go for a manicure and pedicure regularly to look good and feel good.
- Unwanted hair: Concepts of male beauty are constantly changing. Once a hairy bear was the most lovable and sexy symbol of masculinity. Today men are expected to be gleaming smooth, bronzed gods. How much of your body hair you wish to remove is a matter of individual choice. Women do not necessarily find hairy men more attractive, so do not feel pressurised into doing anything that you are not comfortable with. Having said that you have the option to wax your arms, legs and chest.
- Building muscle tone: You can go to a gym or simply work out your own regimen. Cycling, playing your favourite sport, jogging, running even walking are all good for your muscles, weight and general health.
- Unwanted fat: Avoid extreme dietary regimens. Slowly but surely is the key. Eat plenty of green leafy vegetables, raw salads and fruit. Cut down on oily foods and sugar. Drink at least eight glasses of water a day. Nuts are a healthy snack. A good diet will lead you to a stronger, healthier, smashing looking you. So go for it!