Abraham Maslow was an American psychologist who was best known for creating Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. 15 Quotes by Abraham Maslow:
1. ‘What a man can be, he must be. This need we call self-actualization’
Aim high and maximise your potential.
2. ‘I was awfully curious to find out why I didn’t go insane’
A satirical comment regarding his mental state.
3. ‘If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail’
Look at things differently and don’t approach everything the same way.
4. ‘We may define therapy as a search for value’
Asking questions helps us find out who we really are.
5. ‘A first-rate soup is more creative than a second-rate painting’
Something done right is better than something done half-heartedly
6. ‘Dispassionate objectivity is itself a passion, for the real and for the truth’
Be honest to yourself and your beliefs.
7. ‘The story of the human race is the story of men and women selling themselves short’
A generalisation of the way people perceive themselves and others.
8. ‘What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself’
You can only change someone when they see how they are themselves.
9. ‘It isn’t normal to know what we want. It is a rare and difficult psychological achievement’
Knowing what you want from life is an achievement in itself.
10. ‘The ability to be in the present moment is a major component of mental wellness’
It is impressive to be able to live for the moment and appreciate it for what it is.
11. ‘Be independent of the good opinion of other people’
Think for yourself.
12. ‘We fear to know the fearsome and unsavoury aspects of ourselves, but we fear even more to know the godlike in ourselves’
People are reluctant to admit their strong points.
13. ‘If I were dropped out of a plane into the ocean and told the nearest land was a thousand miles away, I’d still swim. And I’d despise the one who gave up.’
Never give up.
14. ‘If you deliberately plan on being less than you are capable of being, then I warn you that you’ll be unhappy for the rest of your life.’
The only way to be happy if give everything your best shot.
15. ‘A poet must write if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself’
Don’t try and be something you’re not ‘ follow your heart.