1. Mental health is defined as the state of successful performance of mental function.
- Mental health comprises one’s emotional, psychological and social well-being.A healthy mind enables someone to engage on productive activity, have healthy relationship with other people and have a meaningful and satisfying living as part of the community.
- It determines the ability of a person on how to handle certain level of social stress.It entitles someone to develop coping skills in adapting to changes, battling life’s challenges and the realization of one’s full potential
2. Mental health is dynamic.
- It is not static but is prone to constant change.
- Physiologically, healthy mind conveyed through actions is regulated by the brain.
- Neurons of the brain may undergo degeneration at some point such as aging process.
- Most often than not, physiologic alterations of neural activity is caused by degenerative medical conditions.
- Unhealthy mind results in alteration or impaired cognitive thinking.
- These conditions may manifest symptoms like behavioral and personality changes.
3. Contributing factor of disability and death.
- People have different strategy to cope with life’s misfortune while some fails to develop their own.
- Mental illness is debilitating affecting almost all of the aspect in one’s life.
- About 90 % of people die from suicide are those diagnosed with mental disorders
4. Mental health and physical health is interconnected.
- Emotional well-being is essential to overall health
- Maintaining good physical health enables the hormones of the body in equilibrium.
- One of these is the stress hormones.
- Though mood changes is normal, persistent mood in its lower range (depression) in unhealthy.
- A sustained feeling of helplessness and unworthiness may significantly increase level of tress hormone level in your body.
- Stress hormones may alter normal functioning of some aspects of the nervous system lead to depressive state.
5. Mental health is best nourished during early stages of life.
- Mental health is important at every stage of life.
- It is the fundamental determinant of a person’s mental well-being.
- Improving family function and positive parenting builds and shapes someone’s healthy emotional foundation.
- It has a significant impact on their adult life later on.
6. Mental health is reinforced at school.
- Schools are institution that enhances and promotes mental health of student.
- Teachers play an important role to assist students in their psychosocial and other problems related to schooling that affect learning and performance.
- This is done by addressing school failure and achievement in an appropriate way as children tends to internalize the effects of the consequences of either positive acknowledgement or punishment.
7. Mental health is influenced by substance abuse. .
- Drug-induced side effects of chronic use of some drugs put long-lasting changes in the brain.
- Recovery to optimal health can be achieved through effective support system most often through rehabilitation.
- Inspire individual to improve and promote healthy behaviors
- The management of mental health related to substance abuse is addressed through wellness programs
8.Mental health for women is crucial.
- Mental instability among women is observed during the course of pregnancy.
- From pre-natal stage through post-partum period.
- Post partum depression also called as baby blues may be experienced by new moms after giver birth.
- The symptoms are mild and no treatment needed.
- This will normally disappear within few days.
- Postpartum blues can be severe if it lasts longer and may need prompt intervention before it become even more serious.
9.Mental health is influenced by socio economic status
- Social and economic aspect has mediating effects on mental health.
- Socio economic indicators are education and occupation).
- Wealth-deprived families having low education and low income puts them at higher risk for mental health illnesses.
- The face of poverty is observed amongst families in less advantaged socio-economic environment such as cases of family violence.
10. Mental health issues are recognized among the culture of affluence.
- Everything should come in balance.
- Too less and too much, either way will cause undesirable problem.
Material wealth has its psychological cost too.