Bethany Meilani Hamilton was born on February 8, 1990, in Lihue, Kauai, Hawaii, to folks, Tom and Cheri. Brought up in a surfing family, along with elder siblings Noah and Tim, Hamilton figured out how to handle the waves at an early age. She started aggressive surfing at age 8, and by the age of 9 years, she had already won her first sponsorship. Her promising profession was apparently crashed at age 13 when a shark bit off her left arm, however, she continued surfing right away thereafter and won a national title in 2005. She composed an autobiography, called “Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board “that was made into the film, Soul Surfer, in the year 2011. She wedded Adam Dirks on August 18, 2013. She and Adam were blessed with their first male child, named Tobias, in June 2015.
Here, are some inspiring facts about her career and life worth knowing:
- During a surfing session on Halloween morning in the year 2003, Bethany was assaulted by a 14-foot tiger shark, which bit off her left arm and it appeared to end her career as a surfing star. Phenomenally, only a couple of months after the shark assault, she joined the Women’s Open Division challenge where she won the fifth spot. The following year, Bethany partook in the NSSA National Championships, and incredibly, she won the first place.
- Her 2004 autobiography, “Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board”, led to a great success, and she was regarded for her mettle by MTV, ESPN and the United States Sports Academy. After seven years, the book was made into a noteworthy film bearing the same title, which was released in theaters in April, 2011 and for home stimulation in August, 2011.
- Bethany was not willing to put her story into a book, however, it was her pastor Berk, who persuaded her to share with the world the tragic incident that happened to her and her motivational spirit to make a comeback to surfing.
- At the age of 14, in 2004, Bethany was awarded during 35th Annual Gospel Music Awards. She, additionally, got a special award for “Fearlessness” (Aug 8, 2004) from the MTV Teen Choice Awards. She was then honored with the ESPY “Best Comeback Athlete” award from ESPN and the Al Neuharth Free Spirit Award. Bethany was highlighted in top US TV shows and International magazines & daily papers. The Surf Industry Manufacturers Association (SIMA) honored Bethany a unique “Wahine O Ke Kai” Award, which in Hawaiian signifies “Lady of the Sea.” (March 2004).
- In year 2005, Bethany went to Thailand with World Vision – took orphans back to the sea for the first time since the Tsunami, and endorsed tourism. Around the same time, she got the “Mildred Babe Dirdrikson-Zacharias Courage Award” from the United States Sports Academy.
- In 2007, Bethany understood her dream and turned professional. Bethany started taking part in various ASP and World Tour Events with her real highlight being a second place in the ASP 2009 World Junior Championships.
- In 2012, Bethany started dating youth pastor Adam Dirks, and they were married in August 2013. In 2014, they were cast in Season 25 of “The Amazing Race”, where they demonstrated in a competitive way before finishing in third place. Hamilton has additionally showed up on such shows as: “Home Edition” and “The Biggest Loser”.
- Bethany is included in various magnanimous endeavors, including her own particular establishment, Friends of Bethany, which connects with support amputees and youth by offering a plan to overcome through Jesus Christ.
- She composed the book “Body And Soul” in 2014, so as to promote having a fit and healthy lifestyle. Presently, at this very moment, as a mother, proficient surfer, creator, and motivational speaker, Bethany keeps on touching and rousing lives across the globe.
- Bethany is a writer of numerous books, including “Ask Bethany”, “Transcend”, “Soul Surfer Devotions”, “Blazed”, “Tempest” and “Crunch”.