Famous as an actor, film producer, environmentalist, gay rights’ activist and a philanthropist, Leonardo DiCaprio won hearts worldwide with his movie Titanic. Below are 20 facts about the star which you should know, just besides Titanic.
1. He was named after the great artist Leonardo da Vinci by his mother when she felt his first kick during her pregnancy while standing in front of one of Leonardo da Vinci’s paintings.
2. He was born as Leonardo Wilhelm DiCaprio on November 11, 1974 in Hollywood, California, U.S. He speaks fluent German as well.
3. He has won two Golden Globe Awards and has been nominated ten times. He has been also nominated for five Academy Awards, never winning one till date.
4. DiCaprio was the single child to mother Irmelin and dad George DiCaprio. The parents divorced when he was still a kid. The mother then brought him up, working as a legal secretary.
5. Interestingly, he never tried getting on drugs. Even for his movie “The Wolf of Wall Street”, he had to consult a drug expert to know about it and watched drunken videos on YouTube to get the feel. He smokes e-cigs.
6. In his personal life, he is famous for dating top models. Till date, he had dated Kristen Zang, Emma Miller, Gisele Bündchen, Bar Refaeli, Blake Lively, Erin Heatherton and Toni Garrn.
7. Other than acting, he is best known as an environmentalist and rates global warming as today’s biggest problem.
8. He is actively involved in several environmental causes and created, produced and narrated a film “The 11th Hour” in 2007, on the state of the natural environment.
9. Infact, the island that he bought off mainland Belize is also under plans to be converted into an eco-friendly resort. He also owns a house in LA, an apartment in Lower Manhattan and his famous purchase, Dinah Shore’s residence in Palm Springs.
10. Model Aretha Wilson injured him with a broken bottle on his head in 2005 at a house party thrown by film producer Rick Salomon. He was given 17 stitches after the attack and Aretha was sentenced to 2 years imprisonment.
11. He started his career with commercials, moving to TV series and then debuted in movies with Critters 3, where he played the role of Josh.
12. The 1997 epic-release Titanic became one of the top grossing movies of all times and earned DiCaprio his first Drama Golden Globe Award.
13. In his early years, DiCaprio gained popularity with his role in What’s Eating Gilbert Grape (1993), followed by The Basketball Diaries (1995) and Romeo + Juliet (1996). His other famous movies are Catch Me If You Can (2002), Gangs of New York (2002), The Aviator (2004), Blood Diamond (2006), The Departed (2006), The Great Gatsby (2013), and The Wolf of Wall Street (2013), to name few.
14. For his role as Arnie in What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, he was nominated for Best Supporting Actor (Academy Award), becoming the 7th youngest actor to be nominated at just 19.
15. Sharon Yvonne Stone apparently gave up her entire fee for the movie “Quick and the Dead” (1995) to get DiCaprio in the movie. The movie didn’t do well.
16. When he was just 10, he was advised to change his name to something which is more American looking at his interests for becoming an actor, which he denied.
17. Not to miss, Mark Bego, the bestselling author who writes on top performers in the rock & roll and show business genres, wrote a book on him named Leonardo DiCaprio: Romantic Hero.
18. Los Feliz Branch Library in Los Angeles was gifted with a room full of computers and other equipments by DiCaprio as it was constructed on the site of his childhood home.
19. Vladimir Putin named him a ‘real man’ after the actor pledged $1 million to saving tigers.
20. He was rated as one of the top “50 Most Beautiful People in the World” by People Magazine in the year 1998.