An engagement in sexual relations in exchange for payment or some other benefit is sometimes described as ‘Commercial Sex’. Prostitution might be the “world’s oldest profession”. Prostitution could be categorized as direct or indirect forms. Although majority of the prostitutes are female but there are cases where men also are engaged in prostitution. The establishments where pimps and prostitutes run their business are called Brothels. Prostitution is a crime but still the legal status varies from country to country.
- Netherlands has put Prostitutes on the same legal footing as the other workers since January 1988.
- The UK government’s new strategy allows more than one prostitute to work in the same place, which should improve safety for individual sex workers.
- In the United States, forty nine states make prostitution a crime. The only exception is Nevada, which permits brothels to operate in specific areas of the state.
- The history of prostitution in India dates back to the Indus Valley civilization, which existed around 3000 B.C. The Vedas, authors of one of the holy books of Hindu, referred to prostitution as one of their cultures’ organized and established institutions.
- Sheila Vogel-Coupe is the oldest prostitute in Britain is 85 years old. She went on a game at the age of 81 after the death of her second husband, citing loneliness as the reason for her new business venture. She is still pulling in a whopping $250 an hour.
- The longest working twin sisters’ prostitutes Louise and Martine Fokken from Amsterdam, have officially retired – but only after 50 years of work and over 350,000 clients served.
- Markus, a 25 year old guy was the first legal male prostitute from United States. He was first hired by Nevada brothel.
- On average prostitutes were beaten roughly 12 times per year.
- At least 50 percent of the prostitutes throughout the world have contracted the HIV virus.
- On estimation at least 1 in 10 or 10 percent male in the world has purchased prostitution.
Prostitution is considered as profession, but in many cases it is not of choice but out of economic necessity, lack of employment options, lack of sex education and media illiteracy, drug addiction or coercion by family, pimps or traffickers are also the factor that can force women into sexual slavery. Human trafficking is the most heinous crime behind forced prostitution. Trafficking happens in a very organized manner with the sole objective of selling women to brothel keepers. The women, who become the victims of the sex trade, are mostly poor, unemployed, and lacking in social and economic support. These circumstances make it easy for a trafficker to lure young women to cities with the promise of a job and better livelihood.
Majority of women who were forced into prostitution did so because they were alone and impoverished, or had a family to support and no immediate job prospects. Single parents who struggle for economic stability often work from sunrise to sunset and usually have to spend more time at work, which leaves their children unattended most of the time. During the early 1920’s, prostitutes were seen as “fallen women” who, due to personality problems, joined sex work.
Climate change could also force more women to become Prostitutes. Prostitutes or “Food-insecure women are vulnerable to situations and that put them at risk for HIV, STIs [sexually transmitted infections], cervical cancer, traumatic brain injury, unplanned pregnancy, and poor reproductive health,” .
To break the chain of prostitute and prostitution-related activities, it is necessary to create laws and support based on the needs of prostitutes and their children .In order to make available to those victims who are still within the school going age formal education should be given, while non- formal education should be made accessible to adults. The government in collaboration with non-governmental organizations should provide adequate awareness generation and legal literacy on economic rights, rehabilitation, publicity through print and electronic media including child lines and women help lines about the problem of those who have been forced into prostitution.