Empaths are people who have heightened abilities to comprehend the mental and emotional state of those they encounter. They are attuned to a self-awareness that allows them to notice dishonesty and lying as well as subtle markers of suffering, emotional and physical pain, injustice and unfair treatment. On the one hand, empaths enjoy a life of creativity, vivid imaginations, adventure, freedom, and travel while being drawn to nature, solitude, and the search for the metaphysical, philosophical and knowledge. On the other hand, their unique sensitivity to others makes them overwhelmed in public and crowded places, emotionally and physically fatigued as well as the listening ear for others’ problems and negative feelings.
As empaths lead uniquely complicated lives, there are several books that examine and explore their emotional and mental workings and offer ways of living that allows them to maximize their sensitive potential while protecting themselves from its repercussions. These books can be broadly divided into categories â€“ books that offer analyses of the traits that encompass empaths and how to maximize them and books that offer ways for empaths to minimize the harm to their emotions and feelings. They offer discussions on minimizing the harm, fatigue, and emotional overuse that come with heightened sensitivity and intuition.
- Dancers Between Realms – Empath Energy, Beyond Empathy by Elisabeth Y. Fitzhugh â€“ This book is a tool for self-enquiry that allows empaths to recognize themselves, examine their qualities, and explore the energetic and emotional flows in their life.
- Becoming an Empath by Karla McLaren â€“ This book reaches out to individuals who might have recognised their heightened sensitivity, intuition, and response to others without being able to identify themselves as empaths. With her thirty years of experience, the author offers an emotional toolkit to individuals to understand their traits as empaths and to use their abilities properly.
- The Complete Empath Toolkit: 44 Steps to Master your Energy by Michael R. Smith â€“ This book offer empaths ways to tune into their emotional depth and clarity with ease. The author weaves in his own narratives and spiritual journeys with practical exercises to create a book that is accessible and acts like both â€“ an educational guidebook as well as an entertaining tool for self-realization
- Navigating the Shift: Awakening your Spiritual Gifts in Earth’s New Age by Michael R. Smith – This book offers empaths unique exercises, meditations, and action steps that will allow them to raise their emotional vibration, deepen their intuition, and embrace their innate spiritual talents.
- Empowered by Empathy: 25 Ways to Fly in Spirit by Rose Rosetree â€“ This book offers ways to learn the skills and gifts empaths have while at the same time helping empaths switch off the sensitivity most of the time in order to protect their feelings.
- Emotional Freedom: Liberate Yourself from Negative Emotions and Transform Your Life by Judith Orloff â€“ This book allows empaths to feel emotional freedom and calm that takes away the anxiety and negative feelings and replaces them with peace, nurturing relationships, and a sense of belonging.
- Help! I’m Sensitive! 50 Tools for the Sensitive to Help You Thrive and Survive by Ronni Ann Hall â€“ This book speaks about empathetic overload and how empaths can get involved in other’s lives without losing their own. It elaborates on the idea of caring not carrying and offers tips on how to deal with non-empath people.
- Whose Stuff Is This? : Finding Freedom from the Negative Thoughts, Feelings, and Energy of Those Around You by Yvonne Perry â€“ This book is for empaths who often feel that they carry other people’s energy and burdens on their shoulder. It is a comprehensive toolkit for empaths and allows them to be empowered by offering emotional compassion and build emotional connections without paying a personal price and overstepping boundaries.